Sunday, February 5, 2012

Live Through This

When I tell people that I was a really angsty teenager I don't think that I'm ever able to fully convey how angsty I actually was. Good thing I still have my english notebook from my freshman year of high school! It's a little on the disturbing side but ultimately hilarious. I love the Hole lyrics and the subtle reference to Sonic Youth's "Bull in the Heather", I'll be impressed if any of you can find it. Courtney Love and Kim Gordon were everything to me in the late nineties / early aughts. I also loved The Virgin Suicides---the book not the film. I had read it prior to the film's release and I remember being disappointed that Sofia Coppola glazed over the more grotesque aspects of the story. Although the soundtrack was totally my jam. I feel like I should revist that movie after seeing an alarming amount of teenage girls' creepy Virgin Suicides-themed shrines in this amazing post on Rookie. And to those girls, I say this: you may feel depressed, angry, and/or alienated but if I can evolve into a happy, fully-functioning human being, so can you! And remember to listen to "Bull in the Heather" as much as possible.


10 comments:

Natalie (Fashion Intel) said...

Can we get some Kathleen Hanna love in that video? Great notebook, now please show us what's inside!

Isabel said...

This is excellent. Agreed, I want to see some pages from the inside!

Chelsea said...

Oh god, it's all Hole/Bikini Kill/ Smashing Pumpkins lyrics, really fucked up poetry, and bitchy observations about my teachers and the students in my class. Sample entry:

I wonder what the guy in front of me is thinking. He has a white baseball hat on backwards so I can see the front, which has a white bulldog with bloody teeth on it. My guess is that he likes to drink beer, watch football, and dream about fucking little bulimic Wet Seal bitches. But what do I know? He could secretly be dating a dude. Maybe he writes poetry and volunteers at an animal shelter or some shit. I should know that appearances can be deceiving. But I think my initial assumption is correct.

So bitchy! LOL

anabela / fieldguided said...

10
20
30
40
tell me
that you
want to
hold me

anabela / fieldguided said...

PS I actually hated the VS movie the first time I saw it. I felt so betrayyyyyed since I had loved the book so much (and the score, which I listened to obsessively for weeks before the movie came out). I've seen it a bunch of times since and once I separated it from the book in my brain, I grew to love it.

m.bardeaux said...

i still think we should do the blog...

Chelsea said...

I still want to! Need to think of name.

Ringo, have a banana! said...

I followed your exact same arc in terms of The Virgin Suicides. I found the book in an old box of junk way before the film, read it, and was completely obsessed. I was nervous but excited for the film, but was so angry and let down by it. I've been giving that movie second chances every few years ever since, and I still hate it. She took something so beautiful and weird and sinister and strange and made it into something that looks and sounds great--and feels like NOTHING. I agree it does help to separate it entirely in your mind from the book, but then it makes me mad that I should have to do that! I got pretty worked up the last time I re-watched it, maybe a year or so ago, and vowed never to see it again hahaha.

That book is still so incredibly special to me, and it drives me crazy that I can never find used copies that don't have that awful cheesy "now a major motion picture" type cover.

Chelsea said...

That movie does look fabulous but feel like nothing. And I totally miss the original book cover, the one with the hair!

http://heathermccormack.files.wordpress.com/2010/09/384px-virgicides.jpg

Chelsea said...

I'm listening to Celebrity Skin by Hole as I write this! The Virgin Suicides is also a favourite movie of mine.

xo
http://couturecultureblog.blogspot.com