Thursday, November 24, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving

I was walking down fifth avenue recently and I spotted a girl that bore a strong physical resemblance to a pre-op Heidi Montag. She was wearing a teal crop top with a dreamcatcher on it, leggings, and knee-length Minnetonka boots with about a million tiers of suede fringe. The utterly unfortunate trend of Native American cultural appropriation in fashion had officially gone from being purely tasteless to utterly grotesque. I hope that Forever 21 & co. stop churning out "Navajo" waterfall cardigans and jeggings. And on a less obnoxious note, here is my favorite cinematic ode to the wonderous holiday that is Thanksgiving:

7 comments:

Lee said...

Hilarious, this movie is great! Also great: Native Americans suing Urban Outfitters for exploiting Navajo prints:)

pipilotti said...

I agree. Grotesque. And the speech of Wednesday/Pocahontas is the best!

Alyson Clair said...

One of my favorite movies of all time!! My little sister used to sing that song, while my brother and I would snicker about its meaning.

Natalie (Fashion Intel) said...

Couldn't agree more on cultural appropriation in the worst way. Not sure if you follow @NativeApprops + http://nativeappropriations.blogspot.com/ but they always have great tweets/posts on the subject as well.

Perfect clip choice!

bsterling said...

I honestly said something along these lines to my boyfriend a couple days ago. I would love to see this trend disappear.

toyota lease los angeles said...

Yes! When did this Navajo trend come out??? I haven't really seen anyone on the street in LA wearing it but I see it in stores! So weird...Some things should die and never come back into style.

Kara Kartchner said...

I really really enjoy your blog. I have been just scrolling through the pages and noticing how funny and interesting your tastes are. I completely agree with you.