Thursday, July 28, 2011

Sandra

Sandra Bernhard was my idol from age twelve onward. I first saw her in the Madonna documentary Truth or Dare and later in Issac Mizarahi's Unzipped. She was clearly the ideal BFF to have in 90's New York. I had never seen a woman who was so fearless and unbashedly eccentric, it was incredibly inspiring. It never occurred to me that you could be opinionated and political and also wear silver lamé miniskirts. 

I haven't seen her perform in years but I saw her new show I Just Love Being Me, Don't You? last month and all my tween fangirl emotions came rushing back. When she opened her show with a cover of "Across 110th Street" I was sold. When Liza Minnelli and Rufus Wainwright made surprise appearances I just about died. And at some point she ripped off a ball gown to reveal a black spangly bodysuit, it was pretty major. 


Photos from two 90's issues of Interview

6 comments:

Amy said...

I saw her today walking out of a store on Ninth Avenue during the Chelsea Art Walk!

Chelsea said...

Jeals!

Ting said...

Geez she is the epitome of badass.

lise.silva said...

Amazing that you just posted this right as I am reading the Sandra B. chapter of "Take another little Piece of my Heart" by Pamela Miller Des Barres. It details her extreme crush and brush with romance with early 90s era Miss Sandra B. herself, but ends with Sandra sweetly rejecting her advances saying it wouldn't be a good idea "You love men. I know, I read your book".

wholesale clothing said...

Wow! how nice! I'm glad that you still remember your idol when you were just 12.

Chelsea said...

Lise- Ahhh! Sandra is so smooth. I love Pamela too, that relationship would have obviously been doomed to failure but I'm kind of sad that it didn't happen!