Saturday, June 25, 2011

Tween Dream

I'm so obsessed with this hysterical ad for Justin Bieber's new fragrance "Someday". It was shot by Terry Richardson, of course. Perfume ads are always about sex but I've never seen an one that blantantly appeals to the sexuality of preteen girls. This ad basically screams "Someday, when I'm old enough, I'll lose my virginity to Justin Bieber!" This is a dream shared by millions of 12 year olds but it's weird to see it spelled out on a magazine page. I also can't help but read into the byline "Never let go with the new fragrance for her that gives back." Does it have any relation to the insanely vaginal perfume bottle? That thing looks like a demented collaboration between Judy Chicago and Claire's Accessories. Although it's mostly just a cheap impostor of the stellar "Oh Lola!" bottle. The rhinestone heart and key evoke both chastity belts and the miniature locks that girls put on their diaries, which presumably contain pages and pages of flowery prose about Mr. Bieber. And then there's the commercial, which features a bevy of Twilight-esq imagery, orgasmic sounds, and one sick pair of purple high-tops. There's nothing fundamentally wrong with these ads but they're indicative of how crazy advertising has become, not to mention the insanity of the Justin Bieber phenomenon. And don't even get me started on the airbrushing. If a baby-faced 17-year old is too haggard to appear un-retouched in his own ad campaign the world has become a very sad place.  

14 comments:

m.bardeaux said...

i cannot get over that perfume bottle!

Miss Ewig said...

I like the video a lot... The design of the bottle is so cute...

Xxx from Formentera, Spain!!! :D

HeyItsAlexP said...

I thought the exact same thing when I saw the bottle and video for the first time. He's a marketing genius but...ugh. Knocking off the MJ bottle was kind of low. Wouldn't glitter be more apropos?

MAURICE and KING said...

This is freakin hilarious! Nothing subliminal about this ad campaign. And that bottle screams "deflowering" to me! Haha! Great to find you! M&K x

Chelsea said...

So true! They should have just called it "Deflower Me" by Justin Bieber.

Anonymous said...

wtf! This is so ridiculous I can hardly believe it?! It looks like a hilarious (but seriously sick) parody... but it is in fact real and actually exists in our world, which when I really think about it, is quite, well, sad...

I wonder what the fragrance actually smells like?

bunnyblues said...

Yuck! This commercial is way creepy! Is he trying to be some kind of peter pan taking wendy away to lose her virginity?

Meg said...

Flower is kind of like Marc Jacobs?

At any rate. I'm not sure how I feel about him going at her neck all the time, but it's cute in it's own way I guess.

I'd also be curious as to how it smells!

The Biebsterrrr

Anonymous said...

omg you nailed it

thanks beib for tha lulz
and too bad for him i'm not a virgin anymore :O

Alyson Clair said...

My co-worker got this for her 11 year old Bieber fan daughter for her birthday. (it was that or a cardboard cut out)
She asked her what did it smell like. Her daughter said - like flowers, like his hair.

Bria said...

I'm still laughing: "demented collaboration between Judy Chicago and Claire's Accessories"

Chuck said...

These adverts actually make me feel queasy. Mega mega gross.

Andrea said...

I picked up a sample of this perfume from my Drug Store cosmetic lady. Let me tell you...

Before smelling the perfume I never really thought about J.B much. Mostly I just wondered why everyone (including my father) was captivated by him. However, after wearing the perfume for a couple days I have realized that Justin B has alot more to offer than just his mainstream appeal. This kid has an edge.

This perfume is WOMANLY. Either J-bot's marketing team is looking for a new OLDER audience or this kid loves cougar puss. You see, the perfume has a musky smell with slight dash a freshness that only someone experienced in life can really feel or detect.

I highly suggest that everyone go to their local drugstore or walmart to pick up a couple samples.

Officially a Justin Bieber fan now.

Also...I love that bottle cap design. Very demi-virgin.

Chelsea Fairless said...

Andrea, that just might be my favorite comment of all time!