Wednesday, May 4, 2011

She burnt my dresses and she cut my hair

At some point during my epically angsty adolescence I gave my Baby-Sitters Club "Mary Anne" doll a Kathleen Hanna-inspired makeover. Isn't it hilarious? I have no recollection of doing it so I was surprised when I stumbled across her at my parents' house over the holidays. Tragically Stacey and Claudia were nowhere to be found! Those dolls were creepy because the girls in the Baby-Sitters Club were supposed to be 12 and 13 but the dolls were really mature looking, a bit sexy even. That paired with the Catholic schoolgirl outfit that Mary Anne was wearing probably prompted me to reclaim her as a riot grrrl. I love the little safety pins on her skirt!


ps. Kathleen (and Ad-Rock!) will be at MoMa in NYC tomorrow night for a party celebrating the stellar Looking at Music 3.0 exhibition. More info here.
pps. Sarah Marcus' new book about Riot Grrrl is such a good read. Do it! 

7 comments:

banana meet-cute said...

Whoa - what would Logan Bruno think?!

Chelsea said...

I love that comment so much!

Sally said...

omfg I love this.

I didn't know there were babysitters club dolls?! I would have been all over that as a "they're so cool, sigh" 8-year-old fan.

jamie cassell said...

12-13 yo me approves!

Sandy Joe said...

This is amazing. At about 12 years of age I made punk and goth barbies. Impressionable angsty kids!

xThe Pretty Secrets

Bluefemme said...

This is my new favorite blog!!!

http://www.justme-bluefemme.blogspot.com/

sallylouvintage said...

The only part missing is you morbidly burying the doll in your backyard. That's what I did with my "made-over" Barbies!