Monday, May 30, 2011

The Cake

If you like the band in Beyond the Valley of the Dolls you'll probably dig The Cake, their sound and career trajectory was pretty similar. There were a million girl groups in the sixties but The Cake set themselves apart by writing and recording their own material. They also refused to dress in alike (a hallmark of the girl group era) and they had the unique distinction of being hipsters. Their cred was further solidified when Jeanette Jacobs (the one that looks like Penelope Tree) briefly dated Jimi Hendrix. You'll probably notice that Jeanette does not move at all throughout the entire performance of "You Can Have Him" (below), despite the wild dancing of her two cohorts. This was not a gimmick reserved for this particular performance, she never moves. I have no idea why. Actually, the only thing that I do know about her is that she suffered from epilepsy and died at a young age. Bummer.

 

15 comments:

susan belle said...

I just flipped out! Yesterday I was looking up illustrations by Joanna Laine who did the cover art on A Slice of CAKE, but found that maybe this is her and I only want to think it is??http://groupieblog.wordpress.com/2010/11/21/jo-jo-laine/

emily said...

They sound great, and my goodness that cover art is to die for!

Chelsea said...

Susan---I hope its her too! Did you find any more of her work? I would LOVE to see it!

Sally said...

That has got to be some of the most gorgeous album art I've seen. It was like an arrow to the heart of my aesthetic. Thank you so much for sharing!

flashesofher said...

chelsea you are totally my psychic soul sister. this is one of my favorite videos of all time. i can't believe you just somehow know about all the weird things i already like!!

partyidiot said...

Check out this article... such amazing ladies!

http://www.dangerousminds.net/comments/the_cake_a_real_life_beyond_the_valley_of_the_dolls/

lazerkid said...

I just cant believe cat party sometimes. Posts about my favourite things all the time, and if they're not my favourites they soon become.

you make the internet seem small and manageable!

»—susan→ said...

Sadly, I could not find anything else on this illustrator, but The Cake's fancy logo is designed by Sandy D'vore, who did opening sequences, logos, etc for tv, film, and music. Just wish that there could be more dug up of this kind of work.

Naima Amarilli said...

great discover! i'll never stop to thank you for this!

NĂ 

http://giocodidonne.blogspot.com/

dirtbike said...

omg omg omg
how did i not know of them before?!

i LOVE that she doesn't move. totally awkward.

thank you for this!

{{{ WET GIRLS GONE WILD. *** CLICK HERE *** }}} said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
laurakitty said...

That first album cover is one of the best things I've ever seen, seriously.

{{{ WET GIRLS GONE WILD. *** CLICK HERE *** }}} said...

.

METEOROGRAPHICA said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
METEOROGRAPHICA said...

The Jeanette Jacobs movement starts here.