Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Color Me Barbra

My favorite image of 2010 is this Terry Richardson photo of Barbra Streisand from Harper's Bazaar last month. It was part of a larger story about Barbra and her home. She just wrote a book called My Passion for Design (barf) which is comprised entirely of photos of her various houses and properties. She has the worst taste ever (neo-victorian shabby chic) and she actually built a fake street in her basement with fake stores. Like an old-timey, cobblestone street with a doll shop, a dress shop, a gift shop, a shop where she wraps presents, a candy shop, etc. She also bought an old farmhouse and made up this story about a family that lived there in the past---and renovated it accordingly! For example, if she imagined that the children would play on a swing in the back yard she would build a f★★★★★g swing. She is crazy. But back to the photo, have you ever seen anything so ostentatious in your life? It makes Slim Aarons' interiors look like Nan Goldin's. I love everything about it. 

16 comments:

Sarah said...

hahahaha this made me lol irl

georgie said...

made me laugh too, i looove the fact theres a picture of the younger her on the wall behind hind her with a similar expression. shes craazy

anja louise said...

I spent a good deal of time in a bookstore killing time and looking through her design book, it is HUGE and it is so funny, every single photo of Barbara is nuts, she's doing these silly poses... ahh I loved it. Made me laugh so much. The weirdest part that I didn't understand was some kind of shops area, like an old timey dress shop and a doll factory shop? So weird. Although, the dresses in the dress shop all looked amazing, old delicate 20's pieces.

Angsthase said...

shit she's got a lot of awards. also a lot of gold shit.
the room looks like she pimped out a funeral parlour/classy ladies toilet.

Jennifer said...

Haa, I actually like the ridiculousness of her style - I think it was the fake shops.

HeyitsAlexP said...

Gah she is so crazy! Babs surrounded by her Grammys in her taffeta gown...klaaasy.

sallylouvintage said...

This photo is the best thing to happen to Babs since The Owl and the Pussycat! I still want to be her in that movie for Halloween and get an outfit with hand prints on the boobs and butt.

lexyrose said...

this is the best i have ever seen her look. chelsea i love the new blog lay out .. youre incredible!!

pachuco hands said...

I guess she got over her ivory phase and has moved into a bordeaux one.

Espen said...

Oh thank god. When I first saw this post, I thought you were going to praise Barbra for her elegance or some shit like that. As soon as I saw that photo, I thought that she looked like a bitch, tired of her ever-so-successful life and numerous amounts of tangible awards.
Thank you so much for agreeing that this is beyond ostentatious photograph.

artdecodiamonds said...

She has a lovely voice....! A bit crazy dont you think!

Olena said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzz8SojS3D8&feature=player_embedded

Christina said...

Babs is cray cray. I just did a post on Funny Girl fashion...check it out!

http://kzspygv.blogspot.com/

Lisa La Nasa said...

Gotta do something with all that money and free time! Why NOT imagine another world and then create it for your own amusement? I would, too!

Tiffany said...

peep the anklet(s?).
Love your blog.
Thanks for being awesome.

Anonymous said...

Ostentatious? Try egotiscally pretentiuos. What a sad excuse for a life, always about her, never about the important things.