Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Are You a Humboldt Honey?

Megan and I were born and raised in Humboldt County, which you've probably heard of if you are a stoner. For those of you who aren't stoners, it's a rural area in northern California that is primarily known for it's redwood forests and marijuana industry. The city of Arcata is the cultural hub of the area, it's a surreal place to grow up. Hippies are everywhere. When Jerry Garcia died there were candlelit shrines all over our town for months, it was the Humboldt equivalent of Princess Di's death. It's also one of few places where the Green Party had a political majority, although that changed after the presidential election in 2000, for obvious reasons. 

The Humboldt Honey poster is an iconic piece of Humboldt history. One would think that it was from the seventies but it's actually from the early eighties. I still see girls around town that dress like this. It was designed by a woman named Ingrid Hart, the "Humboldt honey" was actually a scottish tourist named Leoni Nicol. She had previously fronted a british punk band called The Molesters, whose album cover is even creepier than their band name. Almost everyone I know grew up with a Humboldt honey poster in their house, I found my parents' tattered copy in the back of a closet when I was home for Christmas. Such a score!

13 comments:

H said...

Nice blog!

Alex said...

haha what an awesome poster! Love the 'scientific like' typography of the captions in comparison to the photograph. Sound like you've got a pretty sweet home town!

Love the new look of the blog btw:)

Crystal Lee said...

This is rad! Though the socks & birkenstocks are still unforgivable to me. do you think they have pot leaf print tights in Humboldt because I've been looking for a pair forever.

Isabel said...

This is the best thing I have EVER seen.

Holly said...

ha! too much goodness. i went to college in santa cruz, so i can relate :)

The S.S. Santiago said...

this is great! sharing it with friends it will shame right...now...

jaimi said...

hahah, amazing, I went to visit a friend at HSU last year and fell in love with Humboldt county even though I stopped smoking. It's a beautiful, strange place.
p.s. obsessed with your blog!!

Chelsea said...

Thanks! Yeah, Humboldt is the best ever! So beautiful.

npdpartners said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ingrid said...

...it was just about 30 years ago when the Humboldt Honey came to me in a hazy dream...since then it has always been peace, love and flowers. The pebble in the pond continues to form concentric circles reaching into the unknown. All is well.

doug clare said...

Leoni was not only a tourist but a waitress for me at Garcias Mexican Restaurant. She was anything but a hippie (she shaved unlike girl pictured in poster) nice girl, nice memories! I'm now in a log cabin in the woods of Western NY still living the dream and still questioning authority

Adrienne said...

Wish they still had this poster available because I didn't buy one during my time at HSU. Sad.

lostinthewoods said...

Birkenstocks in the winter=Jerk in socks...

I know...I've been called that before.