Monday, October 11, 2010

Keep on Living

Hey y'all, it's national coming out day!  Wouldn't it be fabulous if Queen Latifah, Anderson Cooper, and all of those self-hating politicians took this opprtunity to "live their truth" (as Oprah would say) and come out of the f-ing closet? If Neil Patrick Harris can do it, so can you. On a more positive note, I would like to publicly express my undying love for Dan Savage. I've been a die-hard Savage Love fan for years and now that he's launched the It Gets Better Project I love him even more. It's a collection of youtube videos of GLBT adults speaking directly to GLBT teens. The central message is that life gets better after high school. Sadly, the suicide rate for gay teenagers is still 4x higher than the rate for straight teens. Our society is failing these kids and we need sane adults to intervene and tell them that their lives have value. I was especially moved by Tim Gunn's video, he was my teacher at Parsons back in the day. To go completely off-topic, I actually met Luxirare in that class! But anyway, thank you Dan Savage, these videos will probably save lives. We need more people like you in the world.


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love those videos too. But... how is LUXIRARE in real life!? I thought she was an alien.

Laura Jane said...

Oh my God thanks for making me WEEP this morning, Dan Savage's life partner!!!

Chelsea said...

She's surprisingly human, actually! She's really smart, she wears really crazy shoes, and she's one of the funniest people that I have ever met! I don't think that comes across on her blog. But she has always been a perfectionist, of course!

LJ- I know, I wish they could be my uncles or something.

m.bardeaux said...

ditto what laura said, i was in tears when i watched! so great that dan savage put this together, he's the best.

Manda said...

word. nice work. sharing this now...

dirtbike said...

that had me ballin'!!!

MatryoshkaDoll said...

And I thought I couldn't love Tim Gunn anymore!

Jenny said...

thanks for posting this! I've been meaning to look into Dan Savage for a while! I post on a blog called Lickety Split - which is a zine out of Montreal that promotes positive and artistic sexual expression - and i am definitely gonna put these videos up this week!

http://licketysplitzine.blogspot.com/

you can also find me here: !

fashionmademefunky.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

ITS DOESNT GET BETTER! IT GETS WORSE!!