Saturday, October 2, 2010

Cat Fancy: The Barneys Catalog

I have mixed feelings about these Hausu-inspired photos in the new Barneys catalog. I do like them---and would probably love them if they were in Teen Vogue---but there is something left to be desired. The combination of Deborah Turbeville, Lindsey Wixson, and Hausu should have resulted in nothing less than the spookiest, weirdest, most epic fashion editorial of our time. It seems odd that Barneys would hire a photographer whose name is synonymous with haunting, ghost-like imagery to shoot such commercial, unfrightening images. Especially since the core concept of this shoot was "young girl trapped in haunted mansion---with cats." But I don't want to sound like a total hater, this is still the best Barneys catalog that I've seen in years.

UPDATE: Deborah Turbeville didn't actually shoot these, Walter Pfeiffer did. Sorry guys, I misinterpreted the cover text!

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

11 comments:

Miki's scrapbook said...

Awe, so many kitties! >*.*< I love the photo shoot but it's true, it's not scary at all, haha!

Ringo, have a banana! said...

I know! When I first saw this kept waiting for there to be at least one photo that I really LOVED, because in this set up I figured there HAD to be...but no. It's fun and kooky but, I dunno, kinda flat? Can't quite put my finger on it.

oh, little bluebird said...

This is unrelated to the Barney's ads (I really like the second image!), but I've thought of this blog twice over the weekend. One- to celebrate October, I watched "Cat People" from the 1940s, which is wonderful and would be at home on this blog (if you haven't already mentioned it) and then last night I noticed that Urban Outfitters is selling underwear with cats on it (search for "kimchi and blue lattice boyshort").

oh, little bluebird said...

*make that "pins and needles" not "kimchi blue" (but I guess they're both made by U.O. anyway!)

daisymay aka Chantele said...

Love the picture of the cat balancing on her feet. So clever!

Daisy Dayz Home
Cross-Jones-Photography Home
Daisy Dayz Day Zero Challenge

cuteseas said...

i love this edi!

x

landofcuteseas.blogspot.com

The Fashion Buzz said...

What really weird looking photos! Not something you like to see when looking at fashion... still, the fashion does look great in these photos!

Comic_Cat said...

This blog's is awesome, I love the cat of the moment image! Keep up the good work

laurakitty said...

Turbeville didn't shoot these images- Walter Pfeiffer did. She did the other shoot in the catalogue, which was much more her style. They shot this story as my boss' castle and, holy shit, these cats were the most beautiful ones I've ever seen! Turkish Angoras!

Chelsea said...

Thanks Laurakitty, That explains a lot! I didn't actually see the catalog and the text on the cover is confusing. I've never heard of Walter Pfeiffer before. That is totally rad that your boss has a castle!

fashion consultant training said...

Love the photo, not the usual but its this amazing.