Saturday, June 19, 2010

Hey Ladies

Despite how backwards our laws are, President Obama has declared that June is now LGBT pride month! I’ll take it.

In celebration of this glorious month I thought I’d share some of my favorite lesbian/bisexual fashion icons. It drives me crazy that lesbian style is practically synonymous with frumpiness. Not all gay women look like the Indigo Girls or Janet Reno; some of us even wear heels and dresses! However, there is no denying that there is distinctive look that has been cultivated by lesbians (and bisexuals, thank you Marlene Dietrich!) over the years. Gay women have been appropriating men’s clothing long before Annie Hall and the current “borrowed from the boys” trend. Not that I’m resentful of the BFTB thing, I love that I can find great blazers (without bust darts!) and brogues at high street stores. But I was never fully committed to that look anyway, leopard print and dresses are far too appealing. Although after looking at these photos I may have to start channeling Garbo & co. on a regular basis.

PhotobucketPhotobucket

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Top to bottom: Gia Carangi's Armani ad, Lissy Trullie, Jodie Foster, Marlene Dietrich, Joan Jett, Annemarie Schwarzenbach, Greta Garbo, Edwige Belmore, Freja Beja, Gia again, Radclyffe Hall, Peaches, Annemarie Schwarzenbach, Alla Nazimova, Jodie Foster, Anita Berber, Marlene Dietrich.

NOTE: I forgot to include Patricia Field and Bettina Koster! They have great style. As does Jil Sander, although she is closeted for some bizarre reason. And I also love Rachel Maddow's Buddy Holly glasses.

Oh, and Guy Trebay wrote an interesting article about lesbian fashion a few years ago, check it out here.

15 comments:

LuxiRare said...

what? Jil Sander is gay??? I mean it makes sense but whoa! Great post! my favorite is Gia Carangi, I think I have that cheezed up remake with Angelina Jolie (dunno if you've seen it) in my DVD stash somewhere.

Chelsea said...

Of course I have seen that! Now you're making me nostalgic for the time when I didn't think that angelina jolie was totally annoying. yeah, I hear that jil sander's gayness is common knowledge in lesbian circles in europe but she is extremely private and press shy and doesn't want to talk about her personal life. Which is dumb, it just makes it into a way bigger deal than it actually is.

Chelsea said...

I'm pretty sure I read about that in GLU. Ps have you seen the new issue? It has three different interviews with pascale. I've been meaning to share some quotes from it on this blog. Pascale-isms, if you will.

Lucy said...

Marlene is SO fly, she almost makes me sick with love. ughhh perfection.

WendyB said...

It took Jodie a looong time to come out, didn't it!

laurakitty said...

Joan Jett is hot enough to make me wanna go that way!

LuxiRare said...

Okay if you have time to blog about Pascale-isms or even scan in those interviews I'd be more than grateful. I'm always interested in hearing what she has to say.

kellyr said...

Super great post. I totally love Annemarie Schwarzenbach. I dressed as her for Halloween. I should be dressin' A.S. style all year long tho...

Chelsea said...

that is amazing kelly! If I saw someone dressed up like her on halloween I would probably die of happiness.
And I love nothing is new, btw. Keep the weaving posts coming!

kellyr said...

Luv yr blog too! So I started twittering...this one's for you —
http://twitter.com/N_is_N

Chelsea said...

Thanks for the shout out, that hair is so insanely good! I need to dig up more pictures of her...

Passport Smiles said...

What a great post. I love all the fashion choices. That one with Peaches on it is awesome.

sarahhartsu.blogspot.com

J. W. F. said...

This is not only another instance of you posting something exactly in line with my interests, but also an instance of you doing it SO well! I love this!

dinoibo said...

Really trustworthy blog thanks.
Sesli sohbet Sesli chat
Seslisohbet Seslichat
Sesli sohbet siteleri Sesli chat siteleri
Sesli Chat
Sohbet Sesli siteler
Sohbet siteleri Chat siteleri
Sohbet merkezi chat merkezi
Sesli merkezi sesli Sohbet merkezi
Sesli chat merkezi Sohbetmerkezi
Sesli Sohbet Sesli Chat
SesliSohbet Sesli chat siteleri
Sesli sohbet siteleri SesliChat
Sesli Sesli siteler
Seslimuhabbet sesli muhabbet
sesli sohbet sesli chat siteleri
sesli sohbet siteleri sesli chat
seslisohbet seslichat
seslikent sesli kent
sesli sohbet sesli sohbet siteleri
sesli chat sesli chat siteleri
seslisohbet seslichat

dentist west hollywood said...

I always love wearing men's attire, fits well and has good material. Plus I love Annie Hall. :)