Thursday, February 4, 2010

Now & Then

Lately I have noticed that bad design is totally ruining my fond memories of adolescence. Not that adolescence was great or anything (it really wasn't) but I did take pleasure in the little things like BSC books, Hard Candy nail polish, and The Bell Jar, which I read obsessively throughout 8th grade.

And now look at the modern incarnations of these things:

So horrible! Claudia and the Phantom Phone Calls looks, like, SO crappy. Hard Candy nail polish also took a turn for the worst and is now sold at Walmart. But the absolute worst is the redesign of The Bell Jar. It looks like the poster for some crappy Rachel McAdams movie about a girl who is unlucky in love so she moves to New York to "find herself" and then falls in love with some blind dude or something. Uhhh. And yes, the title of this post is another throwback to middle school. I still can't deal with the fact Christina Ricci's character turned into Rosie O'Donnell. Not buying it!


Amanda said...

totally agree. shit needs to be left alone..will always love hard candy. at least it's still around since walmart now picked it up (last i heard they were closing down)

this is cyclogenesis said...

Good grief, what a nightmare. I almost wish Hard Candy had just thrown in the towel, at least then I'd get to preserve my memories of buying my first bottle (Mint, from the pastel originals) and how great it was (what up, seventh grade).

Chelsea said...

I had the mint one too! It's funny how those nail polishes were such status symbols.

WendyB said...

Oh no! Not the Bell Jar. I have the old cover version too.

Slappin Japin said...

yes to all points and double yes to the now & then point.

wool and misc said...

aww! this brings back so many memories! all i want to do is lie stomach down on a twin bed and paint my nails!

m.bardeaux said...

nooo the bell jar! that redesign is so horrible i must shield my eyes!

thanks so much for reminding me of now and then, emma and i must have watched that every day after school for months...time to revisit it.

marina said...

God I forgot about the cute heart rings you'd get with your hard candy polish! I really want that pink glitter shade now!

cake. said...

this is HURTING me. my heart! my heart!

Anonymous said...

very musaky, that bell jar cover.
fake watercolor dreariness.
babysitters club book were so magical

Anna Marie said...

good call!

Kiradris said...

Omg I love this post. That sad updated version of The Babysitter's Club cover makes me weepy for this generation.

dinoibo said...

Really trustworthy blog thanks.
Sesli sohbet Sesli chat
Seslisohbet Seslichat
Sesli sohbet siteleri Sesli chat siteleri
Sesli Chat
Sohbet Sesli siteler
Sohbet siteleri Chat siteleri
Sohbet merkezi chat merkezi
Sesli merkezi sesli Sohbet merkezi
Sesli chat merkezi Sohbetmerkezi
Sesli Sohbet Sesli Chat
SesliSohbet Sesli chat siteleri
Sesli sohbet siteleri SesliChat
Sesli Sesli siteler
Seslimuhabbet sesli muhabbet
sesli sohbet sesli chat siteleri
sesli sohbet siteleri sesli chat
seslisohbet seslichat
seslikent sesli kent
sesli sohbet sesli sohbet siteleri
sesli chat sesli chat siteleri
seslisohbet seslichat

Jessica / Lola Vintage Clothing said...

I so much prefer the old book covers.