Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Fashion on FIlm: Effi Briest

I had a nasty cold over the weekend so I watched a lot of movies, one of the more memorable being Effi Briest. Religulous was also pretty enjoyable but not half as stylish (unless you derive fashion inspiration from Jesus freaks, or more puzzlingly, Jesus). Effi Briest was made in the seventies and based on the German novel of the same name. It's about this spoiled girl who marries this nobleman, pops out a kid, gets bored and lonely, meets another, hotter, nobleman, and some drama ensues. I can't say that I like Effi as a person (she's really bitchy to her servants) but she looks pretty fly. Cat Party hero Barbara Baum designed the costumes so it's no surprise that all of the clothes are gorgeous and none feel incidental. The ostrich trim jacket that she dreamed up for Effi's seaside picnic was a particularly good call; I doubt that the scene would have been half as poignant without those feathers catching the breeze. Gorge!







8 comments:

Georgie said said...

Those costumes look amazing. And I am definitely curious about the film after hearing the storyline. I think I will have to check it out.
x

Kat said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SInPXQCBQ7s

v said...

love the costumes

http://balmainbazaar.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

i love this blog... please post more often. :)

Chelsea said...

Kat- thanks for sharing that! So amazing.

Anonymous: we'll try but sometimes life intervenes! Glad you like the blog.

Ruhvana and Flanelli said...

Oh, i love these photos and costumes! I just found your blog and it seems very inspiring:).


Flanelli

Rosa said...

I loved the book! I saw the movie as well I think it was from Fassbinder. Anyway there is a version from 2009 as well. If you like those kind of stories you should read the russion version: Anna Karenina or Madame Bovary.
xRosa Isaychic

SEO Los Angeles said...

So glad I don't live in that era.. It would kill me to wear a turtle neck dress all day long.